Jack's Path of Courage : The Life of John F. Kennedy
Children's - Grade 2-3, Age 7-8
1 volume (unpaged)
Make Way For BooksFollows the formative years of the highly regarded President, including his competitive childhood, remarkable acts of bravery while in the military, and the significant events of his presidency. Will help readers see courage as the overriding theme of JFK's life.
Publisher SummaryProvides an introduction to the life and career of the thirty-fifth president of the United States.
John F. Kennedy was a popular, charismatic president, beloved by many. But he didn't always believe he had the strength or courage for that office. As a child he was sickly, and overshadowed by his strong, capable, athletic older brother Joe. After Joe Jr.'s death, John had to work hard to live up to his own expectations and to those of his father. He overcame pain and self-doubt to see the country through one of the most difficult crises in its history.
Doreen Rappaport once again combines real-life quotes with her own lyrical prose to create a moving portrait of a beloved figure. Matt Tavares's stunning artwork vividly depicts this unique time in history.
Praise for the Big Words series:
Martin's Big Words
2002 Caldecott Honor Book
2002 Coretta Scott King Honor Book
Child Magazine Best Book of 2001
New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Children's Book of 2001
* "A stunning, reverent tribute."
-School Library Journal, starred review
Abe's Honest Words
* "Exceptional art, along with Rappaport's and Lincoln's words, makes this a fine celebration of a man who needs little introduction."
-Booklist, starred review
Jack's Path of Courage
"An evenhanded, graphically stirring biography."
Eleanor, Quiet No More
* "Once again Rappaport celebrates a noble, heroic life in powerful, succinct prose, with prominent, well-chosen, and judiciously placed quotes that both instruct and inspire...Celebrate women in history and in politics with this picture-book life."
Helen's Big World
* "Stirring and awe-inspiring."
-The Horn Book, starred review
To Dare Mighty Things
* "[T]his lavish picture-book biography deftly captures the legendary man's bold, exuberant nature. . . . A truly inspiring tribute to a seemingly larger-than-life U.S. president."
-Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Theodore Roosevelt's big ideas and big personality come together in this splendid picture-book biography."
* "Concisely written and yet poetic, this is a first purchase for every library."