Helen's Big World : The Life of Helen Keller
Children's - Grade 1-2, Age 6-7
0 p. ;
Make Way For BooksLarge watercolor illustrations warmly portray Helen Keller—overcomer, speaker, and briefly, actress. This reading experience highlights Annie Sullivan's belief in Helen's potential, and Helen's increasing connections that strengthened her mind and ambition. Readers sense the importance of pushing beyond difficult limits. Large-print quotes give voice to Helen's dogged determination that highlight the expansive world she chose to influence.
Publisher SummaryThis picturebook biography is an excellent and accessible introduction for young readers to learn about one of the world's most influential luminaries. With her signature style, weaving engrossing prose with stirring quotations from Helen Keller herself, Doreen Rappaport brings a poignant narrative to life. Acclaimed illustrator Matt Tavares beautifully captures the dynamism and verve of Helen Keller's life and legacy, making Helen's Big World an unforgettable portrait of a woman whose vision for innovation and progress changed America-and the world-forever.
Praise for Helen's Big World:
* "Stirring and awe-inspiring."
-The Horn Book, starred review
"Helen Keller's transcendent leap across the barriers of her blindness and deafness continues to inspire."
* "While there are many books available about Helen Keller for this age group, this title offers a unique and beautiful perspective on her life."
-School Library Journal, starred review
Praise for the Big Words series:
Martin's Big Words
? 2002 Caldecott Honor Book
? 2002 Coretta Scott King Honor Book
? Child Magazine Best Book of 2001
? New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Children's Book of 2001
* "A stunning, reverent tribute."
Abe's Honest Words
* "Exceptional art, along with Rappaport's and Lincoln's words, makes this a fine celebration of a man who needs little introduction."
-Booklist, starred review
Jack's Path of Courage
"An evenhanded, graphically stirring biography."
Eleanor, Quiet No More
* "Once again Rappaport celebrates a noble, heroic life in powerful, succinct prose, with prominent, well-chosen, and judiciously placed quotes that both instruct and inspire...Celebrate women in history and in politics with this picture-book life."
To Dare Mighty Things
* "[T]his lavish picture-book biography deftly captures the legendary man's bold, exuberant nature. . . . A truly inspiring tribute to a seemingly larger-than-life U.S. president."
-Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Theodore Roosevelt's big ideas and big personality come together in this splendid picture-book biography."
* "Concisely written and yet poetic, this is a first purchase for every library."